Monday, January 19, 2009

D.C.

So,
So far D.C has been great. It has been a whirl-wind of fabulous experiences. On my first night here, I saw Luke Russert, son of the late Tim Russert, speak. He talked about the influence the Youth had on this past election and how people who had never been involved in politics before came out and volunteered. It was great.
The next morning, very, very early, we went to see Colin Powell speak. He talked about the traits of leadership that all of us should try to use to our advantage. His big three were 
-Know who you are
- Know who your followers are
- Know who you enemies are
He also stressed the importance of knowing how to put your followers first and to work to their strengths and your own strengths. 
I also saw James Carville and Mary Matalin. They were so funny! James especially talked about the things we need to do to change things. He emphasized that my generation has seen an absurd amount of history and that that alone will change how we make our decisions in the future. His big question was, with all of these changes, will we just watch them, or will we participate in them?
I will post more tomorrow, especially about the talk with Al Gore tomorrow. Right now I am gonna go to bed because my alarm is going off in two hours to head to the inauguration! It is going to be a historic day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment